Sunday 9 August 2009

Paddington Reservoir Garden - a bit of history Part I


OK, so I didn't take the black and white photo - though I did take a photo of the photo from the information boards around Paddington Reservoir Gardens. I featured this restored water reservoir / garden over three days (4, 5, 6 August). Here's some more about the history of this garden.

Top: 2 Oct 1964. The reservoir was sold to Paddington Council in 1934. From then until 1990 the western chamber was leased to a commercial garage operator. The Water Board leased the eastern chamber as its garage annexe and store. The reservoir was roofed for the first time to create a public reserve. Popular music concerts were held here. This looks like it was taken from Juniper Hall, across Oxford Street.

Below: Taken looking into the reservoir from Oxford Street. Juiniper Hall is across the road behind me.


More tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, that historical image is intruiging to me. Sydney was such a low-rise city when I was growing up - even inner-city like Paddo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be good if you could travel back in time and take photos of places and events from days gone by. Taking a photo of Cook landing in Botany Bay, or you ancestors working in Sydney.
    I await my next history lesson on the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like there are going to be a lot of art shows and new things to do here fabulous - keep us posted
    http://pinacoladakisses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete